Friday, May 30, 2014

Books from A to Z

I cannot resist Book Surveys any more than I can resist a challenge. So...when my latest notification from Adam over at Roof Beam Reader revealed that he had completed a bookish A to Z Survey that he found at Jamie's The Perpetual Page Turner blog...well, I just had to do it too.



AtoZsurvey

 

 Author you’ve read the most books from:

Agatha Christie. Followed closely by Frances & Richard Lockridge 
(Want an easy way to figure this out if you have Goodreads and keep good track of your stuff? Go to your account, hit “my books”and on the left hand side under your shelves you will see “most read authors”)

Best Sequel Ever:

India Black & the Shadows of Anarchy by Carol K. Carr

Currently Reading:

Invisible Green by John Sladek: The Seven Unravellers, a long-disbanded club of mystery fans and amateur detectives, is about to meet for its twenty-year reunion when one of the members is found dead in his seedy London flat. Was it murder, or just the unhappy death of a senile old man?

Drink of Choice While Reading:

Diet 7-Up, Water, or--when it's chilly--hot chocolate

E-reader or Physical Book?

Physical Book. Always.

Fictional Character You Probably Would Have Actually Dated In High School:

Lord Peter Wimsey: I'm a sucker for brainy, witty, sensitive types. Of course...since Lord Peter is so very upper-crust, I'm sure I wouldn't have met him in high school (or British equivalent)...but one can dream....

Glad You Gave This Book A Chance:

  The Deathday Letter by Shaun Hutchinson: It's the chance to watch a 15-year old "jerk" realize what's important in life--and death. The chance to learn lessons that some of us never learn in a life-time, let alone a single day. Ollie and his friends will make you laugh and cry...and wonder just what you would do if you were certain that you only had twenty-four hours left. {As I mention below, I'm not usually into YA, but I'm glad I gave this one a read. Totally worth it!}

Hidden Gem Book:

See above.

Important Moment in your Reading Life:

Discovering the book blogging world. It's brought me so many online friends and introduced me to all kinds of books that I would never have tried. And--got me into challenges. Can't forget the challenges! Plus--my blog gives me a place to keep track of reviews. 

Just Finished:

Steampunk Poe by Edgar Allan Poe with fantastic illustrations by Zdenko Basic & Manuel Sumberac

Kinds of Books You Won’t Read:

I won't say I never read these--but I certainly prefer not to and need compelling reasons to do so: horror/thrillers--especially those involving children at risk. I am also not interested in real life trauma/drama stories (there's enough drama in the real world, I don't want it in my pleasure reading), recent psychological thrillers,  paranormal romance, & I am not terribly inclined towards YA. 

Longest Book You’ve Read:

The Norton Anthology of British Literature Vol. 1 (2,616 pages) for college
Les Miserables by Victor Hugo (1463) longest fiction for pleasure
** easy way to find this out. Go to your Goodreads “read” list, don’t scroll down but where you are on the screen there will be this little tab on the bottom that lets you choose how you want to scroll or how many books you want display. There is also a sort option with a drop down and you can sort by page.

Major book hangover because of:

The Private History of Awe  by Scott Russell Sanders

Number of Bookcases You Own:

4. Two are tall and then the other two are smaller (used as night stands). There are piles stacked precariously in the back room and all down the hallway. And there still isn't enough room--there are about six tubs of books in storage.

One Book You Have Read Multiple Times:

Strong Poison by Dorothy L Sayers —  I love Sayers. It doesn't matter that I already know the solution to the mystery. Every time I read it, I discover something new--because she is just that good.

Preferred Place To Read:

On our sectional couch. In a chaise lounge under our maple tree. Also, in bed!

Quote that inspires you/gives you all the feels from a book you’ve read:


“Some things you must always be unable to bear. Some things you must never stop refusing to bear. Injustice and outrage and dishonor and shame. No matter how young you are or how old you have got. Not for kudos and not for cash: your picture in the paper nor money in the bank either. Just refuse to bear them.” from Intruder in the Dust by William Faulkner

Reading Regret:

That I didn't read some of the Children's Classics when I was younger.  I read Anne of Green Gables not too long ago--and while I enjoyed it I think I would have enjoyed it more had I read it when I was young.

Series You Started And Need To Finish(all books are out in series):

Phryne Fisher series by Kerry Greenwood.  The new one is out and I haven't read it yet....

Three of your All-Time Favorite Books:

Strong Poison by Dorothy L Sayers (mentioned above); Persuasion by Jane Austen; A History of the World in 10½ Chapters by Julian Barnes

Unapologetic Fangirl For:

Harlan Ellison, Dorothy L Sayers, Roger Zelazny, Jane Austen

Very Excited For This Release More Than All The Others:

The next India Black book by Carol C. Carr.

Worst Bookish Habit:

Checking books out of the library because they sound SOOOO good and then not touching them before they have to go back.  Also, I join all those challenges (mentioned above) and plot out what I'm going to read for them and then change my mind.  I should save the time making the lists and just read!

X Marks The Spot: Start at the top left of your shelf and pick the 27th book:

The Widows of Broome by Arthur W. Upfield: Broome is a little sun-drenched town on the barren northwest coast of Australia--the kind of place where everyone knows everyone else's business. How then did someone murder Broome's two most attractive widows and get away without leaving a clue?

Your latest book purchase:

The Big Smoke by Adrian Matejka: an award-winning collection of poetry based on the life of prize fighter, Jack Johnson. Adrian Matejka is a professor in the English Department where I work. He is an incredibly nice man and I can't wait to read his book and find out what all the awards are about....

ZZZ-snatcher book (last book that kept you up WAY late):

Mind Fields: The Art of Jacek Yerka/The Fiction of Harlan Ellison by Yerka & Ellison (I just kept wanting to look at one more picture and read just one more story about it....)

3 comments:

Marce said...

I enjoy surveys too, will consider doing it. I am definitely a ebook addict.

I haven't heard of Strong Poison, will look it up.

Gram said...

Steampunk Poe is listed as YA on my library website. I still put it on my want list there. I enjoy some YA.

Bev Hankins said...

Gram: The only reason I can see for it to be listed as YA is because of the Steampunk drawings--but I don't really consider Poe to be necessarily YA.