Tuesday, April 19, 2011

A-Z Blogging Challenge: Letter P


Now up to day 16 of the A-Z Blogging Challenge. Every day in April (except Sundays) I will be doing a post for each letter of the alphabet. It is my plan to make most of my posts reading &/or book-related. April 19th is brought to you by the Letter P.

P is for Pocket Size editions.
I am really attached to the Pocket Size editions of books that came out in the 1930s-1960s and have managed to start a collection of them. I now have about 50 in varying condition. These smaller editions were printed on cheaper paper and were condensed in size (but not in content) and were often advertised as helping the war effort during WWII by conserving paper. The primary imprints for these Pocket Size editions are Pocket Books, Dell and Bantam. I love these smaller sized books--both as a curiosity to collect in and of themselves and because they so often have bizarre and interesting cover art. Here are my some of my favorite Pocket Size Edition Covers from those that I own:


3 comments:

Tea said...

I really enjoy looking at your Vintage collection. I have seen these small paperbacks. I liked that cheap paper. What a very nice thing to collect, these books. Also, a nice way to use P.

Sherrie said...

Hi Bev,
Great collection. I loved those little books. They fit so well into a purse. I would sneak them into school and read them, got me into trouble a couple times. Thanks for stopping by my place. Have a great day!

P.S. As for the Color Code challenge, no I didn't have to much trouble finding a book, although I was looking for one on polka dots and couldn't fine one.

Sherrie
Just Books
http://sherriesbooks.blogspot.com/2011/04/to-z-blogging-challenge-p.html

fredamans said...

I love pocket books!

http://fredasvoice.blogspot.com/2011/04/p-is-for-poetry.html