Thursday, February 24, 2011

Booking Through Thursday: Something Old; Something New


This week Booking Through Thursday wants to know: All other things being equal–do you prefer used books? Or new books? (The physical speciman, that is, not the title.) Does your preference differentiate between a standard kind of used book, and a pristine, leather-bound copy?

Well, given that I have a love for vintage mysteries (definitely pre-1960 and mostly earlier than that)...I'd have to say used. But naturally I prefer vintage books in excellent condition to those that are barely holding it together. I really like hardbacks in good condition and those pocket-size editions (Pocket Books, Dell, Bantam, etc) that have the interesting color covers.

3 comments:

Yvonne said...

I don't mind used books as long as they are in good condition. Unfortunately, I've seen some books in pretty bad shape.

neer said...

I prefer used books as sometimes you pick up really interesting titles, books that are out of print. Also they are much more affordable.

Bev Hankins said...

@neer: very true!