Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Color Coded Reading Challenge 2014


Well, I put a poll up asking if folks were interested in giving the Color Coded Challenge another go.  I thought I'd run it till the end of the month and then see where we were.  But I've got a baker's dozen of interested readers out there already....and I've looked through my TBR stacks and found that I have books for every category, so here we go again.  Get ready for a rainbow of reading in 2014.

Here are the rules:


*Read nine books in the following categories.
1. A book with "Blue" or any shade of Blue (Turquoise, Aquamarine, Navy, etc) in the title.
2. A book with "Red" or any shade of Red (Scarlet, Crimson, Burgandy, etc) in the title.
3. A book with "Yellow" or any shade of Yellow (Gold, Lemon, Maize, etc.) in the title.
4. A book with "Green" or any shade of Green (Emerald, Lime, Jade, etc) in the title.
5. A book with "Brown" or any shade of Brown (Tan, Chocolate, Beige, etc) in the title.
6. A book with "Black" or any shade of Black (Jet, Ebony, Charcoal, etc) in the title.
7. A book with "White" or any shade of White (Ivory, Eggshell, Cream, etc) in the title.
8. A book with any other color in the title (Purple, Orange, Silver, Pink, Magneta, etc.).
9. A book with a word that implies color (Rainbow, Polka-dot, Plaid, Paisley, Stripe, etc.).

* Any book read from January 1 through December 31, 2014 will count.
*Crossovers with other challenges are fine.

*Everyone who completes all nine categories will be entered in a year-end drawing for a book-related prize package.

*Please post about the challenge on your blog. Sign ups accepted until Nov 30, 2014.

*Please sign up using the Linky below. Give your name & blog (Example: Bev @ My Reader's Block) and use a direct link to your challenge post as your url. Please don't connect to just your home page.  Links to a list on GoodReads or other social media sites are also acceptable.
*Please use the Review Page (link coming in January) to post review links and a final wrap-up post when you finish the challenge.  (click link)  [Reviews are not required--but I would love to see what you think about the books that you've read if you do review.]

*No blog or GoodReads site? That's okay. Post a comment here to announce your entry into the challenge and when you have completed the challenge just post a comment at the review site with a list of your books.

 



28 comments:

Jamie Ghione said...

Hi, I enjoyed this challenge and would like to try it again.

Jamie

jmisgro said...

Of course, I am in again!!

Book Dragon said...

Trying this again! Thanks for hosting

BooksPlease said...

I've gone through my list of unread books and found I have more than enough to take this challenge - so I'm in!

jmisgro said...

My daughter Sophia wants to do this challenge. She will link up through goodreads!

Bev Hankins said...

Welcome Sophia!

Star said...

This year was super fun! Can't wait till 2014!~

Katy McCoy said...

I'm going to try this for the first time. Does it count if most of the books are John MacDonald's Travis McGee mysteries? (Just kidding, kind of!)

Bev Hankins said...

Katy: Absolutely...I've put no limit on number of books by an author or in a series. :-)

Jamie Ghione said...

Would "cherry" count as a shade of red?

Bev Hankins said...

Jamie: Absolutely. We used to own a Mustang that was "Cherry Red." :-)

Gabrielle said...

I really enjoyed this challenge last year and found a lot of great new authors so I'm looking forward to it again. Hopefully this year I'll do a better job at getting my reviews posted! :)

Diana S said...

Sounds like a fun challenge! I'm in!

HeatherAnne said...

I love challenges like this because it encourages me to branch out to many different genre for reading choices.

Susan Brehm said...

Here's an update with my booklist.

http://susanbrehm.wordpress.com/2013/12/29/the-color-coded-reading-challenge-2014-book-list/

Anja K. said...

Hi Bev, looking forward to doing this again! I have a question - what about color words in foreign languages? For example, I have a book called "Berlin Noir" - would that count or is that too far afield? (I don't mind either way, just thought I'd ask :) )

patty said...

Just wondering a couple of things, would Canary count as yellow? and what about re-reads? This seems like such an awesome challenge :)

Bev Hankins said...

Anja Kasap: Colors in foreign languages--absolutley!

Patty: Canary is perfectly acceptable for yellow.

Darlene said...

Thanks for hosting this challenge again, Bev!

Jane said...

Bev, would pale count as 9. imply colour?

Bev Hankins said...

Jane...sorry I didn't see this sooner. Yes, I will take Pale as "imply color."

Jane said...

That's okay, thank you Bev.

Julie @ Smiling Shelves said...

Does iron count as a shade of black?

Bev Hankins said...

Julie: Hmmm. Iron...I can see iron as in iron-grey and grey as a shade of black. So, yes, I'll take it. :-)

Julie @ Smiling Shelves said...

Awesome! Thanks, Bev. :)

Marj said...

Finished this challenge!! Here is a link to my challenge update page--

http://marjsmysteries.blogspot.com/2014/09/2014-color-coded-challenge-update.html

Thanks, Bev, I really enjoyed this challenge!

MarjR

Jamie Ghione said...

Hi, I'm finished now. Here is my wrap-up post:
http://jannghi.blogspot.com/2013/11/since-i-enjoyed-color-coded-reading.html

Jamie

Unknown said...

I've just completed the challenge, and it was great fun--thanks for hosting it!

Challenge post with book list: http://www.samantha-lin.com/2014/03/2014-reading-extravaganza-and-challenges/