Sunday, November 3, 2013

2014 Mount TBR Challenge


My bookaholic status remains unchanged. Despite the fact that I will have knocked 100 books off of my 2013 Mount TBR by the end of December, there are still whole mountain ranges waiting to be conquered. 
 

So, once again, I plan to concentrate on reading primarily from my own books this year. And you're invited to join me in knocking out some of those books that have been waiting in the wings for weeks....months...even years.

Challenge Levels:

Pike's Peak: Read 12 books from your TBR pile/s

Mount Blanc: Read 24 books from your TBR pile/s
Mt. Vancouver: Read 36 books from your TBR pile/s
Mt. Ararat: Read 48 books from your TBR piles/s
Mt. Kilimanjaro: Read 60 books from your TBR pile/s
El Toro: Read 75 books from your TBR pile/s
Mt. Everest: Read 100 books from your TBR pile/s

Mount Olympus (Mars): Read 150+ books from your TBR pile/s

And the rules:
*Once you choose your challenge level, you are locked in for at least that many books. If you find that you're on a mountain-climbing roll and want to tackle a taller mountain, then you are certainly welcome to upgrade.  All books counted for lower mountains may carry over towards the new peak.

*Challenge runs from January 1 to December 31, 2014.

*You may sign up anytime from now until November 30th, 2014.

*Books must be owned by you prior to January 1, 2014. No ARCs (none), no library books. No rereads. [To clarify--based on a question raised last year--the intention is to reduce the stack of books that you have bought for yourself or received as presents {birthday, Christmas, "just because," etc.}. Audiobooks and E-books may count if they are yours and they are one of your primary sources of backlogged books.]

*You may count any "currently reading" book that you begin prior to January 1--provided that you had 50% or more of the book left to finish in 2014.  I will trust you all on that.

*Books may be used to count for other challenges as well.

*Feel free to submit your list in advance (as incentive to really get those books taken care of) or to tally them as you climb.



*There will be quarterly check-ins and prize drawings!


*A blog and reviews are not necessary to participate. If you have a blog, then please post a challenge sign up and link THAT post (not your home page) into the linky below. Non-bloggers, please leave a comment declaring your challenge level--OR, if you are a member of Goodreads, I will once again put together a group for the challenge there. Feel free to sign up HERE.  And, finally, I will once again have a sidebar link for Progress Reports-->  ***Coming Soon: Reviews may  be posted at links found at Review Headquarters (click link).


 



46 comments:

Becky said...

I'm sure I'll join in again this year, but I haven't had time to get a list of books going! But thank you so much for hosting this! And thank you for posting about it now ;) I eagerly await all announcements of 2014 challenges--this is my favorite time to catch up with blogs. I'd hate to miss any challenges that I'm interested in :)

Bev Hankins said...

I had to get it done while I was thinking about it...and before the holiday season gets going.

Yvonne said...

I'm in! Like you, I wanted to get a head start on getting the challenges ready so I don't have to worry about it later on when things get crazy for the holidays.

Susan said...

A year-long Mt TBR challenge! I did really well last year at the 4 month long one (which also said no borrowing or buying for 4 months). I have stacks of books I need to read from my shelves. I'll be doing a post for this challenge too, shortly. Good challenge, Bev!

BooksPlease said...

I'm glad you're doing this again next year and I will most definitely join in!

I'm still struggling up Mont Blanc and won't reach my target of Mt Ararat this year - maybe next year I'll concentrate more on reading from my own shelves.

Becca Booklover said...

I'm in! This challenge is SO what my TBR needs right now. Great idea, thank you! Julia

Donna said...

I would love to do this challenge as long as I don't have to write reviews! I'm REALLY good at reading, but my writing is pretty bad. I will get my post done on my blog and sign up. Thanks for this fun challenge that will force me to read my neglected books..sitting there begging me to read them!

Yuska said...

Thanks for hosting this awesome challenge. 2013 was a mess, hahahah. Hopefully I can get things straight next year.

Cath said...

I'm in and my post is now up.

Jamie Ghione said...

I'm in again. I have one more to reach my level for this year, and will have plenty for next year. I'm going up a level for next year, since I now have over 30 books to read.

fredamans said...

K, I'm in!! Wish me luck!

Viki said...

I am in. First challenge ever!!

Elena said...

I'm in for this challenge.

Anonymous said...

I'll be in again this year! I think it's the only challenge I'm going to stick with unless I can fit the Back to the Classics around my Classics Club list! I doubt I'll pick a high level, but I've almost doubled my original level this year :)

Thomas Hogglestock said...

I won't be making a list but I will choose from the 300 or so in my TBR pile. I expect to make at least El Toro.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Arrgh! I have no idea why google does this: I sign in but then posts me as "Unknown"! Anyway, I deleted my non-attributed post above.

This is my third year playing and I'm changing things up slightly for myself: Instead of joining the goodreads group, I'm posting quick & dirty reviews on my tumblr account and; I'm setting my sights on Mt Ararat (+2) from the start!

dog eared copy/Tanya :-)

Sophia Rose said...

I'm doing it again. I won't be making a list, but I'll be doing at least Mt. Toro.

Thanks!

Hamlette (Rachel) said...

This is my first year doing bloggy reading challenges like this, so I'm signing up for Pike's Peak. Thanks for hosting this!

Amelia said...

I posted my link. I surprised by self by having 77 titles on my TBR Piles. I'm hoping to read at least half of those titles.

Tiffani said...

The Mount TBR challenge is just what I need to get through my mountain of unread books. Can't wait till January so I can get started.

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

This time I moved my challenge goal up a notch!

Gigi Ann said...

Since I am going to try an read only books I have on my bookshelves this year, I decided to join your challenge again this year. Thanks for hosting this challenge again this year.

Gabrielle said...

Looks like fun! I'm going for Mount Blanc.

CMash said...

Thank you for hosting!! I have been in a year long slump so hoping it ends in 2014. GL everyone!

LuAnn @ BackPorchervations said...

Joining in at the Pike's Peak level thanks to a blog post Yvonne made. :O)

Muse said...

I did rather poorly in 2013 getting far too distracted by shiny new books and crime series I'd over looked.

I intend to participate this coming year to encourage my clearing those creaking old shelves of TBR. May choose a lower mountain though.

Sue said...

I love this challenge! Hoping to repeat 2013's performance of Mt. Ararat!

Brooke Showalter said...

Oh, I need this! Thanks so much :)

Anonymous said...

Yeeees!!! I do it for sure!!!
I'm preparing post for my new 2014 challenges :)
Happy New Year! xoxo

Lindsay said...

This year I really really want to read the lovely books I already own and wanted to read so much when I bought them, so this sounds a wonderful challenge to focus me, thank you.

Kristin said...

I'm in - this is the year of reading my own books (or at least I hope it is!!!). Thanks for hosting!

Anonymous said...

going for it again this year at Mount Ararat - joining you on Goodreads

Anonymous said...

Sign me up!
Put me down for Mt. Vancouver!

Karen K. said...

I'm in!! I'm going for Mt. Kilimanjaro -- I read 51 books from my TBR shelves last year and I think I can do better this year! I also signed up for the Triple Dog Dare, so I'm only reading books from my own shelves (except for my book group) until March, so I should make some real progress!

Thanks for hosting the challenge!

Maria said...

This is my first time so I'm just going to go for Pike's Peak to start out. If I do more I'll be thrilled!

Quilting Nonnie said...

I'm in with reckless abandon. Mt. Pike is my reasonable goal. I would love to read more, but quilting runs as a tie in my life!
Is there a badge that I can put on my site?

Bev Hankins said...

Quilting Nonnie: The only badge I have is the picture that is in the post. I don't know how to give it to you other than to have you right click on it, save it to your computer and then post it at your site. If there's a trick to making a badge that you can just "grab" and use then I haven't learned it.

Anonymous said...

I signed up again, maybe first time it didn't acceppted my signing!

Darlene said...

Thanks for hosting again, Bev!

Major said...

I'm in, thanks for hosting this challenge.

Lady Hawkeye said...

Pike’s Peak: Read 12 books from my TBR pile/s

12/12 Completed

http://www.mywriterblog.com/kelly/2014-mount-tbr-challenge/2014-mount-tbr-challenge/

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1653995-kelly-s-pike-s-peak

Tiffani said...

Two months in and I've made it up Pike's Peak! On to the next mountain.

Anja K. said...

Oh wow, I can't believe I missed signing up for this challenge ages ago! This is a great incentive to read down my TBR Pile. Thanks for hosting yet another great challenge!

Mai in Wonderland said...

I'm late in the game. But I'm here.

Jamie Ghione said...

I'm done for this year. 36/36!
http://jannghi.blogspot.com/2013/11/2014-mount-tbr-challenge.html