Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Mount TBR Challenge Checkpoint


Wow.  The year is just about three-quarters done and it's time for Mountaineering Checkpoint #3.  Where does the time go?  I'm ready to hear how all our mountain-climbing buddies are doing out there on Pike's Peak, Mt. Ararat, Mt. Everest....whichever peak you've chosen.  Checkpoint participation is absolutely voluntary and is not considered necessary for challenge completion.

For those who would like to participate in this checkpoint post, I'd like you to do two things:
1. Tell us how many miles you've made it up your mountain (# of books read).  If you're really ambitious, you can do some intricate math and figure out how the number of books you've read correlates to actual miles up Pike's Peak, Mt. Ararat, etc. And feel free to tell us about any particularly exciting adventures you've had along the way.

2. Complete ONE (or more if you like) of the following:
  A. Using any number of titles from your conquered list, compose a poem.  You may add extra words, if needed, up to the number of titles used.  There were a few brave souls who gave this a try last time.  I'd love to see what might happen on this round.

  
Picture of books is NOT required.
 B. Looking ahead to next year's challenge: Is there a level that you'd like to see added (maybe a 30 or 35 level or some other number in between our current mountain peaks)?  If so, give me a suggestion and the name of a mountain peak and I'll think about switching things up a bit next year.
 C. Have any of the books you read surprised you--if so, in what way (not as good as anticipated? unexpected ending? Best thing you've read all year? Etc.)


And what do you get for all that hard work (and distraction from the actual climb)? The link will close at 11:59 pm on Sunday, September 30.  On  Monday I will crank up the Custom Random Number Generator and pick a winning climber. He or she will have the chance to add to their TBR stack via my gently-used book vault (prize list will be sent). Just think, if you win a book you can start up a pile for next year's Mount TBR Challenge. 

Even if you're not in the mood for a prize or if you've only got one leg of the journey under your belt, I'd love to have you check in and tell us how your climb is going!

***Please note--the linky is for Checkpoint posts only.  The link must be to a specific Checkpoint post (not your blog's home page in general). Links that are not Checkpoint-specific will be removed--to make it easier for me to track a winner.


Sign in below with your Checkpoint post.


Mounte TBR Checkpoint






9 comments:

TracyK said...

I am so glad you are going to do this again next year. I will be joining for sure. I would not mind seeing a point between 25 and 40, but don't have any ideas for names for such a point. And I love that you do a quarterly checkpoint. Since I am trying to read some many from my backlog, I would be endlessly linking them if I had to link one at a time.

fredamans said...

With my huge TBR pile, I'll be in too!

Jean said...

I still have a huge pile, so I'd be very happy to join up next year! I feel no need for inbetween levels, though--I like it the way it is.

TracyK said...

I have posted my summary post for this quarter. Please do not include me in the drawing for the prize.

Anonymous said...

I'm excited for next year and will definitely participate again, especially as this has helped me clean off my kindle. I now need to start clearing off my physical bookshelves. Maybe I'll make that a stipulation for myself next year - only physical books!

Sue said...

I tried to link up my post but the link seems to be closed. I made it to Mt. Ararat and here's the link to my post.
http://www.careyfamily.org/mount-tbr-mt-ararat/
I think you did a great job with levels and I don't have any suggestions!

Abbi Hart said...

I made my goal (Mt. Kilimanjaro) before the last checkpoint so I don't have anything to update. I probably won't participate next year due the fact that this year my goal is to have no more than 5 book left on my TBR-not counting Christmas present books!

Kate said...

I also wanted to submit my checkpoint, but it says the collection is closed.

I've read 75 books on my way to 100 (it's all downhill from here!) And I intend to sign up to read 100 books again in 2012 -- my TBR mountain is still unmanageable!

Bev Hankins said...

Kate: The linky keeps closing on me...I "think" it's fixed for good this time. See if you can sneak a link on there before it closes down again.